With summer just around the corner, people everywhere are already thinking about BBQ’s or beach parties in the not too distant future. Not only do you want to look good to the other sex, but you want to feel confident putting on those board shorts or bikinis. Nothing can be more frustrating than looking in the mirror and not liking what you see. Well the truth is that today is always a good day to take a forward step toward your goals. And for most of us this includes staying healthy and fit. This article is the first of a 3 part series in which I will go into more detail about 15 easy ways to help you burn fat faster.
1. Stay hydrated: A strong case can be made that while it contains zero calories, water is the most important nutrient needed for by your body. Because it is so needed our body will crave water frequently when it is in short supply. And sometimes you will think you are hungry when you are actually thirsty. Try drinking a glass of water next time your stomach is talking to you and see if the hunger pains go away. In addition to keeping your stomach full, water has recently been shown to increase metabolism. German researchers have found that people who consumed water increased their metabolic rates (how fast they burned calories) by up to 30!
2. Eat fruits:Fruits by nature (yes, the pun is intended) are high in nutrients and fiber when being relatively low in calories. This translates into fat loss. For instance, researchers at the Scripps Clinic found that people who ate half a grapefruit with each meal over a 12-week period lost an average of 3.6 pounds. The study concluded that the vitamins in the grapefruit reduce insulin levels which promoted the weight loss. I always look to see what is in season and looks the freshest at the grocery store or farmers market. This seems to give me the best tasting fruit and the most for my dollar.
3. Consume non-fat or low-fat yogurt: Several studies have cited that dairy products can help you lose weight quickly. An 8 ounce serving of yogurt can contain about 450 mg of Calcium and 12 grams of protein. In addition, yogurt contains active cultures which promote healthy digestion. This will help you feel full longer while promoting healthy metabolism. The key with yogurt is to keep it simple. Unfortunatly, many yogurt options are compromised by adding in extra sugars when they contain fruit. I prefer to buy plain yogurt and then add in fresh fruit or nuts to change the flavor.
4. Vitamin D: It is often called the “sunshine vitamin” because your body has the ability to synthesize it from cholesterol with about 15 minutes of midday sun. Studies have Sonus Complete shown that Vitamin D can assist in regulating blood sugar levels. In addition to affecting a person’s weight, a Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to several illnesses including cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
5. Iron enriched foods:Iron is an important mineral that is needed for hemoglobin, the oxygen binding protein in red blood cells. Plenty of iron translates to plenty of oxygen being transported to your muscles as you are working out or recovering from a workout. If you are short in the amount of iron in your body, than you are most likely going to have a harder time burning fat and losing weight. Beef and turkey are high in iron, but also may be high in fat. Lower fat foods that include iron are spinach, beans, broccoli, and baked potatoes.
The first five recommendations should help you take some positive steps toward burning that extra body fat as you get ready for summer. Please read my future articles to learn more easy ways to lose weight and get in better shape for happier and healthier life.